Revelation in Light of Israel’s Prophets
011715sd by Rabbi Dennis Richards. Torah = Gen-Deut (written by the hand of God and given to Moses)Tanakh = Gen – Malachi (“old” testament) The New Testament is incomprehensible without the “Old” Testament. We need to be well-versed in Torah.
- Torah defines sin. Sin is transgression of Torah (the law) 1 John 3:4
- Torah was written for us. It’s for learning through patience and comfort to have hope! Romans 15:4
- Torah gives us the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith in the Messiah/Word 2 Timothy 3:14-15
- Torah (ALL Scripture) is inspired by God and profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness 2 Timothy 3:16
What did Paul mean by “all Scripture”?
- Would Paul consider his personal letters, written to specific congregations he was leading, to be Scripture?
- Paul reiterates many commandments from Torah and also gives some his own advice in his letters. 1 Cor 7:12, 25; 2 Cor 11:17
- His advice is NOT Scripture. It is advice from him to specific people and congregations with specific problems (see the Scripture references above)
The book of Revelation is baffling without knowledge of the Tanakh.
- 404 verses in Revelation. 278 of those reference the Tanakh
- Tanakh has 39 books. 24 of those are referenced in Revelation.
Golden Lamp stands Rev 1:12——– Zech 4:16 Babylon Rev 14:8, 18:2——–Isaiah 21:9 Key of David Rev 3:7—–Isaiah 22:22 No More Tears Rev 7:17—-Isaiah 25:8 Heavens will Dissolve Rev 6:13-14—–Isaiah 34:4 Alpha & Omega Rev 1:8,11,17 and Rev 21:6; 22:13 —-Isaiah 41:4 No More Hunger Rev 7:16——Isaiah 49:10 The Gentiles Rev 21:24-26——Isaiah 60:3,11 Warrior Rev 19:13,15——Isaiah 63:2-3 New Heavens, New Earth Rev 21:1———-Isaiah 65:17 The Beast Rev 13:1-2——-Daniel 7:18-22